Pages

Sunday 1 March 2009

Palms down, palms up

In our study group we have been reading Richard Foster's 'Celebration of Discipline'. In the chapter on meditation, the author talks about 'palms down, palms up'. This has left me with a very powerful image and a useful tool on the way to solitude.
Before I can come to God with open empty hands to receive, then I need to let go of all the things that fill my hands in the first place.
It helps me to think of the things that are stressing me or worrying me and to put those things into my hands. Then I turn my palms down so that everything 'falls out'. This brings a sense of release and readiness.
After this, I sit with palms upwards, to receive from the Lord what He is waiting to give me. My hands are open to receive what He wants to give. I just sit quietly and wait, without asking.
Sometimes it helps to repeat this several times.
I also appreciate Richard Foster's emphasis on the learning process. I am learning how to meditate and to pray and to study. I don't have to feel condemned by God because I have not arrived yet but, like a child, His expectation is only that I grow...

No comments: